Driving lesson tips
These tips and handouts are made freely available for anyone who is taking driving lessons.
Hopefully they will help you pass your theory test and driving test first time!
If you need help with any of the topics, ask your instructor or call/text me (Steve Watson) on 0784 0055 462 or click here to send me an email.
Before you begin, you need to find out what the emergency services call The Fatal Four. It could save your life.
- Using your mirrors
- What to do at roundabouts
- Coping with junctions
- Meeting vehicles
- Moving off
- Stopping and use of mirrors
- Clutch control
- Hand controls
- Foot controls
- The cockpit drill
Theory test tips
Ready for your theory test? Take a free mock theory test and find out!
General driving tips and information
- Why cheap driving lessons might be the most expensive way to learn to drive
- My dad only took ten driving lessons before he passed his test!
- How to overtake safely
- Are you too old to learn to drive?
- How to deal with emergency services vehicles
- Do speed limits matter?
- It’s 30 for a reason!
- Your new provisional driving licence – what you need to do before you have your first driving lesson
- Driving in the snow
- Let them merge!
- All about traffic lights
- Learner driver insurance
- How to avoid road rage
- Fog lights – when to use them and when NOT to use them
- Drink driving – the consequences
- Viagra, plums, dogs, car tax and weak excuses.
- What to do if someone is following you
Driving test tips
- How to pass your driving test
- Ten ways to fail your driving test – and how NOT to do them!
- Six things to do if you fail a driving test
- Stalling on your driving test
- Conquer your driving test nerves!
- Beat driving test nerves – a free ebook
- Do you have to speak to a driving examiner?
- Show me…tell me
- The driving test – what to expect
Driving lesson tips
- How to beat driving lesson nerves
- Driving on the motorway – a guide for learner drivers
- Commentary driving – what it and how to do it
- Turning left
- How to emerge safely at closed give way junctions
- Meeting vehicles – video
- How to change gear smoothly
- Joining and crossing dual carriageways
- How to move off safely on a hill (the hill start)
- You never know what you’re going to see around the next corner (video)
- How to spot opportunities to emerge at busy roundabouts
- Clutch control at roundabouts
- A one page guide to roundabouts
- Preparing the car to move – and NO stalling!
- Scanning – it keeps you safe!
- Cross hatched lines – can you drive on them?
- The emergency stop
- Stay safe! If you don’t know…don’t go!!
- Pull push steering – it easy if you know how!
- Common steering faults – and how to fix them
- Steering incorrectly – why it happens and how to correct it.
- How to move off…safely…POM
- Yellow box junctions
- Yellow box junctions (and more) in Scunthorpe – video
- MSPSL – how to approach a junction or hazard safely.
- Make the most of your driving lessons